Tuna Steak au Poivre with White Beans and Bitter Greens SaladWine Pairings: Pinot Noir, Rhone Blend Red
Tuna Steaks Ingredients:
- 4 (6 oz. 1 1/2" thick) tuna steaks
- coarse salt
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- coarse black pepper
- lemon wedges, for passing
White Beans Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, homemade, (recipe follows) or store bought, diced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1 handful chopped flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Coarse salt and pepper
Bitter Greens Ingredients:
- 1 head escarole, cleaned and shredded
- 1 medium head radicchio, shredded
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat
- Coarse salt
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Pat tuna steaks dry and season with a little coarse salt. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over tuna nd lightly coat steaks on both sides. Coat 1 sice of the steaks with a generous amoung of coarse ground black pepper. When the pan is very hot, add steaks, peppered side down. Sear and brown steaks 2 minutes, then turn, and immediately reduce heat to medium. loosely cover pan with aluminum foil tent and allow steaks to cook 5 minutes for rare, 7 minutes for medium. Steaks should be firm, but have a little give and some pink should remain at the center.
- In a second skillet over moderate heat, coat pan with olive oil, add garlic and onion, and saute 3 minutes to soften onion bits. Add beans and chopped roasted red pepper to the pan. Heat beans through, 2-3 minutes. Stir in rosemary and parsley and season beans with salt and pepper.
- Combine escarole and radicchio in shallow dish. Coat greens with lemon juice, then a drizzle of oil. Season salad with coarse salt and toss well.
- To serve, pile a serving of beans on a dinner plate and top with tuna steak. Serve salad greens along side beans and fish and some crusty bread.
- To roast red peppers: Preheat broiler to high. Split and seed pepper and place skin side up close to hot broiler. Blacken skins of pepper. Transfer pepper to brown paper bag and seal. Let pepper cool to handle. Peel charred skins away from pepper flesh.
- Makes 4 servings